When my birthday rolled around in February my neighbor, Gaye, brought me this beautiful plate of Crunchy Pecan-Banana Coffee Cake Muffins! She is not only a really good cook and baker she is also very thoughtful. So along with this lovely plate of muffins she brought the recipe! (Knowing I would probably ask for it!)
This recipe comes from the folks who make Great Grains cereal. From their website I learned a bit about supporting a healthy metabolism. For instance, did you know that eating breakfast to “break fast” can increase your metabolism by as much as 10%? The process of metabolism establishes the rate at which we burn our calories, and ultimately, how quickly we gain weight or how easily we lose it.
These muffins are very filling and will stick with you through the morning! They are dense and packed with quite a bit of flavor. I think raisins or dates could easily be added. They can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer, taking one out at a time, or just stored in an airtight container during the week so you have one ready to go as you leave for work. A muffin is a good mid-morning snack and these are better for you than what you will find in the snack machine or from the bakery counter! They are also fun to share! 🙂
Speaking of sharing, have you ever seen a “sharing plate?” Along with the muffins came this fabulous plate. Gaye said she “just knew” I would be the perfect person to give it to, as she knew I would “pass it on.” She is right and I am so glad she picked me! Sharing with family, friends, and neighbors is part of what makes cooking and baking so meaningful to me. I hope you will find someone to share these muffins with!
Just a thought … maybe you have a minute to share this website with a friend or family member too!
- ⅓ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal
- 1¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas (14 ounces total), peeled
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1¼ cups Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- Toss the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in the oil and maple syrup. Stir in the cereal. Set the streusel aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using a fork, coarsely mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Stir in the yogurt, oil, and egg white.
- Add the dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the cereal. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
- Sprinkle the streusel over, gently pressing it into the top of the batter.
- Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on the rack.