“You’ve got to make this pumpkin bread. I always use Libbey’s pumpkin. You gunna love it cuz it tastes great and makes such nice gifts too.”
I did exactly what any good friend would do — went to the store, bought some pumpkin (and sugar – I was completely out) and I made pumpkin bread.
John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
- 5 cups sifted flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 29 oz. canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 2 - 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add pumpkin, melted butter, and chopped nuts. On medium speed mix thoroughly.
- Scoop batter into two pans that have been oiled and floured.*
- Bake at 350 degrees F. about one hour until bread is done in the middle.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then remove from pan onto wire rack to finish cooling.