I am doing it again. Posting a recipe to share because I typically lose my copy of the recipe and can’t find it at the moment I need it. Now I will have it on my blog — forever. Well, at least for as long as I need it!
I adore this salad and/or dessert. I call it Strawberry Salad and the Chief calls it Definitely Dessert! If you haven’t made it lately, you should. The sweet and salty combination makes for mouth-watering tastiness! And the fruit, well that makes it healthy! 🙂
My sweet sous-chef dish-washing mom made this for us one hot day in July and it was so refreshing with dinner. You will most generally see this pop up around the holidays but I say “don’t wait.” Make your own strawberry pretzel holiday soon!
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus ¾ cup sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) container whipped topping
- 2 (3-ounce) packages strawberry gelatin dessert mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen strawberries
- Whipped topping or whipped cream, to garnish* Optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the crust, mix the pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Press this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch pan and bake for 7 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and ¾ cup of sugar. Fold in the whipped topping, and spread over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until well chilled.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, and allow to cool slightly. Add the strawberries and pour over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, cut slices and serve with a dollop of whipped topping.