When You Want To Be Understanding
Teach me your way, O Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Psalm 27:11
Counsel and sound judgment are mine; I have understanding and power. Proverbs 8:14
Merry Christmas! I know it is the week of Thanksgiving, but for me Christmas came early this year in the form of this very cool 5 in 1 Cuisinart Panini Maker and Griddle!
Remember my friend Sue who turned me on to the Victorio Food Strainer? During a recent visit to her home she made a wonderful lunch that included Bistro Apple Panini’s. Oh my gosh!!! I was hooked from the first bite. Actually, I was enthralled watching her put them together, squish in a Panini grill and turn out perfectly browned, slightly crunchy sandwiches filled with the likes of apples, bacon, cheese, apple jelly and tarragon!!! What’s not to like? I came home from Sue’s talking (some would say “non-stop”) about Panini’s! On a recent browse through a kitchen shop, which mom, Lee, and I all love to do — Lee discovered this beauteous griddle/panini maker. He said, “Do you want…” and I said “YES!” That was it – Merry Christmas to me, early! He is off the hook for anymore shopping this season and I am thrilled with my new kitchen gadget. As for Sue, she reminded me that hers is old, well-used, and probably came from an auction or garage sale to start with, but I am going to invite her to lunch so that she can experience the panini craze she has me hooked on!
As for this recipe — I changed it up slightly using 5 Grain Sourdough (to make me feel healthier about eating the bread) and also I used Imported Smoked Gruyere Cheese. When I was at the grocery store and saw the Gruyere cheese I thought, “oh that is what I need for the Panini’s.” Turns out the recipe calls for Havarti. I am sure when Sue made this she didn’t make the cheese mistake like I did. However, the Smoked Gruyere was certainly delicious — so I know I can use either! One more note — the bacon, apple, and tarragon go together so well that if you don’t own a panini maker or an indoor grill, you can easily pan-fry or broil these tasty sandwiches.
- 12 thick slice Bacon
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup Apple jelly
- 4 teaspoon Fresh Tarragon, minced
- 12 medium slice Sourdough bread
- 6 medium slice Havarti cheese
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon Butter or Margarine, softened
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In a small bowl, toss thinly sliced apple with lemon juice and set aside.
- Place jelly in a small microwave safe bowl; microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds or until softened. Stir in tarragon.
- Spread jelly mixture over six bread slices. Top with cheese, apple, and bacon. Spread mustard over remaining bread slices, top over bacon. Spread outside of sandwiches with butter.
- Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted.
(2) These pictures show Gruyere Cheese instead of Havarti. I just bought the wrong cheese at the store -- but as it turned out Smoked Gruyere is absolutely wonderful too!