February 8, 1931. A beautiful day indeed. The day my mother was born in Omaha, Nebraska. I wonder if her mother ever imagined how much joy and love this little girl would bring to so many people in her lifetime? And today she is celebrating 83 years of life under the sun!
After 83 birthdays I thought maybe a change is in order. So this year, a GIANT cookie seems just right!
Aren’t those M & Ms a pretty color? Tasty too!
Happy Birthday Mom and many, many more!
“This is the day
which the Lord has made;
Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or plain or peanut M & M's
- Caramel drizzle optional*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8 to 9 " round baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg to the mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Add the flour and baking soda into the mixer. Turn back on the lowest setting and mix the dry into the wet ingredients.
- Turn the mixture off and stir in the chips or M & Ms by hand.
- Spread batter onto the prepared baking sheet and shape it into an evenly spread circle of about ¾" thickness.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Drizzle individual pieces with caramel or frost entire cookie with Happy Birthday!