Affiliate Disclosure: I receive a small commission for purchases made via affiliate links.
Upon arriving home from a lengthy vacation this summer this casserole and fresh homemade bread awaited us! Our friends John and Maribeth came to the airport to collect my sous chef dish-washing mother, my Chief Traveling Buddy and I. That in itself was a lovely gesture on their part because we live about 1 1/2 hours from the airport! Oh, but what a surprise when we arrived home and Maribeth had our first meal already prepared and waiting for us.
Maribeth is a very good cook and I often ask her for recipes after eating in their home. This was no exception. I’ve never made this type of casserole and to say we flipped over it would be a bit of an understatement.
I really like recipes that allow for “tweaking” so that I can add in favorite ingredients or leave out something we aren’t fond of. This is just that kind of recipe. Maribeth included mushrooms in her recipe and I left them out and added cumin and diced green chilies in mine.
Just before serving I sprinkled in some already cooked crumbled bacon! Oh yeah!
All in all a keeper recipe and a real family pleaser!
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (usually 2 breast)
- 1 shallot, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup diced pepper, can use green, red, orange, yellow or a combination
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. spaghetti noodles, uncooked
- 8 oz. cream cheese (cut into small chunks)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, and/or monterey jack)
- *Crumbled cooked bacon Optional
- *Mushrooms Optional
- Turn Crockpot on high. Add chicken breast, shallot, diced peppers, green chilies, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper, and salsa. Cook for 3 to 4 hours until chicken breast is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken and shred. Return shredded chicken to crock pot along with 3 cups hot chicken broth.
- Break spaghetti in half and add to crock pot mixture stirring slightly so that spaghetti is fully in the liquid.
- Add chunked cream cheese and shredded cheese on top.
- Replace lid and cook for 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crispy cooked bacon and give a quick stir and then it is ready to serve!