Affiliate Disclosure: I receive a small commission for purchases made via affiliate links.
In the spring I visited my son Cory, and he introduced me to Blue Apron meal delivery service. The Sumac-Spiced Salmon he made for us was outstanding. Recently he sent me an invitation to try Blue Apron and they sent me one free delivery of 3 meals for 2 people. One of the meals was for Empanadas de Picadillo with Tomato-Cucumber Salad and Lime Creme’ Fraiche.
Please forgive me for posting another salad recipe on the heels of this Family Favorite Fresh Vegetable Salad! But it is garden season in the USA and the vegetable stands and farmer’s markets are brimming with fresh vegetables like juicy wonderful tomatoes and sweet tasty cucumbers.
This may be a no-brainer salad for you but for me it shocked my shoes off! I have never made a vegetable salad that is dressed with only a little olive oil, salt, and pepper! Yep, that’s right – never. In my mind, the vegetables need a little help dressing – like a bottle of salad dressing, a creamy homemade dressing, or something more than olive oil, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime juice
Boy, was I wrong! That’s why I couldn’t wait to share this salad with you. Diced cucumbers, tomatoes, onion (red or green) a sprinkling of olive oil, salt and pepper, a squeeze of lime juice all tossed in a bowl and set upon the table – unbelievably easy.
What happens then is pure garden vegetable magic. The fresh flavors of the tomato and cucumber are powerful and delicious. Every bite brings another round of “oohs and aahs” from those sitting around the table! My Chief Fresh Vegetable Eater and my Sous-chef dish-washing mom couldn’t have been happier with this meal of Homemade empanadas’ and fresh cucumber and tomato salad!
The following day for lunch I mixed up a bowl of tasty ham salad, baked up a simple loaf of Honey Wheat Bread, and served alongside the leftover Cucumber and Tomato salad. Another culinary hit! Did I ever mention that I cook for compliments? Yes. I. Do. 🙂 This week was full of them and it all started with this salad!
Have a blessed day and Happy Cooking!
- 1 large tomato (or as many as you need, depending on how big a salad you are making)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red onion or 3 green onions
- Juice from fresh lime (about 2 teaspoons)
- A splash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use as many cucumbers and tomatoes as you want, based on the size salad you want to make. Use 1 to 1 ratio of cucumber and tomato. Onion can be used sparingly or more according to your taste.
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Core and halve the tomato; dice into medium size pieces.
- Peel the cucumber, leaving alternating strips of skin in tact; halve lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds, medium dice the cucumber.
- Remove onion peel and chop red onion or slice up green onions.
- Combine cucumber, tomato, and onions in mixing bowl. Squeeze juice from lime and mix through the vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- The salad is ready to serve or can be refrigerate until ready to use. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.