I am all about using my BBQ grill to keep my kitchen cool in the summer. It is so easy to add a few vegetables to your cast iron skillet and put it on the grill beside your summer meats.
This basket from the local farmer’s market provided several yellow neck squash and I also received a couple beautiful squash from my neighbor’s garden.
While my grilled meat was cooking I sliced up the yellow squash and thinly sliced red and white onions all which came from my local farmer’s market basket.
When the meat had about 1/2 hour left to cook I set my cast iron skillet on the grill and heated up a bit of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. (I can’t resist the color and flavor that comes from a bit of butter.) I started with a teaspoon of minced garlic and then added the squash and onions. I closed the lid, letting the squash cook for about 10 minutes.
For the next 15 minutes I stirred the squash twice bringing the browned squash to the top and letting the rest of it brown nicely. The onions will caramelize and become dark, crisp and luscious. A little salt and pepper to taste and this squash was on its way to the dinner table.
When the meat is done the squash was ready to serve. I serve it right out of the cast iron skillet which keeps it warm all through the meal.
Here are a couple of my other favorite yellow squash recipes:
Southern Squash Casserole
Happy Garden Harvest Time!
BTW – I got carried away the second time I made it and sprinkled on some cheese before serving. If I HAVE to eat vegetables, THIS is the way to do it!
- 6 to 8 cups sliced yellow neck squash*
- 1 cup onion sliced thin*
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup favorite melting cheese*optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and lightly peel yellow neck squash. Cut in ¼" slices. Make enough to fit your skillet or baking dish (usually 6 to 8 cups)
- Heat BBQ grill. Add cast iron skillet with olive oil and butter. Melt and add garlic. Cook 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add squash and thinly sliced onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover grill for 10 minutes. Then stir mixture well, watching to make sure the squash is browning but not burning. Adjust grill heat accordingly.
- Grill for 30 minutes total, stirring mixture a couple more times.
- Add cheese at the end, if desired.
Ingredients can be adjusted for the number of servings and size of pan.
Cheese totally optional but delicious.
2 thoughts on “Got Squash? Fast and Easy Yellow Neck Squash Side Dish”
What kind of cheese? Did I ever tell you I made the vanilla? Great!
Any favorite cheese will do — something you can shred and sprinkle like cheddar, pepperjack, or monterey jack. Even the Fiesta Blends you can buy now work great! How did you like the vanilla? I absolutely love using mine.